Skip to main content

the facebook

Two years ago, my brother and sister-in-law vacationed in Thailand. For the most part, they were incommunicado, except for brief sessions online during which they'd post photos to a Facebook album so that everybody could see what they were up to...

conveniently forgetting that our mom was not, at that time, a Facebook user.

The concept that there were photos of her child visible to other people and not to her tore dear Mom up inside, resulting in this actual gchat tutorial. Nothing has been edited except names and private data. Note the time stamps.

Look how far you've come, Mom!

me: argh!
go to facebook.com
you just got a message in your inbox.
your e-mail address and the usual password will do it.
fart knockers, they will probably have to grant you access. i am steamed.

Sent at 4:00 PM on Monday

me: ...
OR
go to facebook.com
sign in with my e-mail [e-mail address]
and i will give you the password when I get some indication that you are doing any of this.

Sent at 4:04 PM on Monday

Mom: i'm opening your email

me: don't bother.

Mom: ok

me: i don't think you can see their pictures unless you are friends.
they won't be able to approve you for a week.

Mom: oh,guess i'm not
well!!

me: NO DO THE THING I JUST WROTE ABOVE THAT.
you can log on as me.

Sent at 4:12 PM on Monday

me: 1. open a tab at facebook.com

Mom: what's the password

me: at the top right in the e-mail box enter [e-mail address]
nice mom.
it's "[password]"

Sent at 4:14 PM on Monday

me: did you get in?

Mom: i see a picture of someone sitting on a bed i think

me: okay...
you have to remember i'm not seeing anything. it constantly updates when my friends update their pages.

Mom: ok, i never put in your pasword though

me: okay then i have no idea what you did.

Mom: give me time to check for [brother], i'll be back

me: Mom!
Ding!
Ding!

Mom: what

me: If you didn't put in the password, I have no no idea how you are in my account.

Mom: i'm not there

me: What did you do?

Mom: i just see your friends
i put your name in at the top right and seeked

me: no you are terrible at this. let's start over.
at the top right there should be a "log out" link. do that.

Sent at 4:19 PM on Monday

Mom: think i'm there...it says carolyn walking mom through it

Sent at 4:20 PM on Monday

me: yes! we are doing that!
you are in!
Now, hit apple-F to find a word.

Mom: i see a picture thing from [sister-in-law]

me: Find "[sister-in-law’s name]"
Okay please do this my way so you don't get lost.
Find a link that says '[sister-in-law’s name]" and click on the link to get to her profile.

Mom: ok what does apple f do, nothing from what i get

me: no little bar at the bottom that you can use to find?

Mom: yes

me: doesn't matter, just find a link that says "[sister-in-law’s name]" and click on the link. Not on the picture, on her name.
you should get to a page that is [sister-in-law]'s Profile. with her picture in the top left corner.
let me know how it is going.

Mom: let me try now
there is a [brother’s name] with 23 pictures
i don't see the profile

me: what did you click on?

Mom: i put [sister-in-law’s name] in the find box and then hit enter

me: and then did you click on the link that it found?
Mom, if her name is light blue, click on the link.

Mom: no found link popped up
ok i see that

me: okay, then you should get to [sister-in-law]'s profile. picture in the top left corner of the page.
is that what you see?
mom?

Mom: picutre of [brother] and [sister-in-law] in water
think i got it
yes
yes??

me: yes, you got it.
my connection is breaking up.

Mom: let me look and i'll get back to you ok

me: Under that picture there should be a blue link that says something about seeing all of [sister-in-law]'s pictures.
That is what you click on next.

Mom: 126 of them?

me: um, yes.

Mom: no 23

me: that's the link.

Mom: thanks

me: you're not done.

Mom: ok
can i look and come back to you!

me: no you can't.

Mom: ok
what

me: there are 126 pictures. i have to tell you which album to look at.
Are you on the pictures page?

Mom: no i'm talking to you, can't do both

me: when you tab over to facebook, ms. literal, are you on the pictures page?

Mom: yes

me: okay there is an album on that page called Thailand.

Mom: i don't think i want to see thm this bad!

me: I assume they will put all their pictures in that album when they add more.
So I want you to be able to find it.
NO MOM WE'VE COME TOO FAR

Mom: ok, and if i want to see them i'll ask for your password ,etc again

me: you have my password.
i am teaching you to fish, mom!

Mom: ut i didn't write it down

me: we are never doing this again!

Mom: ok

me: behold the miracle of google chat!

Mom: i do love you

me: our conversation is saved!
i love you too, mom.

Mom: good

me: you were maybe not cut out for facebook.

Mom: i'm going to look now, so i won't respond to your ding

me: are you at the right album? you can click on one picture and see it big.

Mom: yes

me: then at the top there are "previous" and "next" links so you don't have to keep going back.

Mom: [brother] is at the seoul airport in a black reclining chair

me: sure. i don't think that is the first one.

Mom: do you think you are talking to a dummy

Sent at 4:41 PM on Monday